804 Aged Parent Visa
Australian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their aged parents as permanent residents to Australia. This visa is age-restricted in a sense that the applicants must be over the pension age. While this visa is more affordable on a comparative scale, the standard aged parent visa is limited to a small number of applicants per financial year, resulting in an enormous backlog, taking decades before being processed.
Criteria for Grant
- The applicants must be sponsored by a child who is a settled Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
- Be over the retirement age, that is 67 (as at 16 March 2020); and
- They must satisfy the Balance of Family test; and
- They must not have any other pending parent visa application.
Balance of Family Test
Only living children are counted in this test. If the location of a child is unknown, they are assumed to be in their last known location. The test can be summarised in the following terms:
Are at least half of the applicant’s children eligible children living in Australia?
Are there more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country?
Common scenarios in which the test is passed include where:
- 1 eligible child resides in Australia with 1 other child in another country;
- 2 eligible children reside in Australia, and 1 other child in country A, 1 other child in country B;
- 3 eligible children reside in Australia, 2 other children in country A, and 2 other children in country B
The first test is satisfied in the first two examples. In the third example, more children are in Australia than in any other country, thus satisfying the second test.
Relevant Public Interest Criteria
4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4005, 4009, 4010, 4020, 4021 and 4019 (if applicable).
There are no conditions associated with this subclass.
Subclass 804 is payable in 2 installments.
Base application charge: $4,350
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $2,173
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $1,090
Second installment: $2,065
Prior to the visa(s) being granted, sponsors must provide a bond to be held for 10 years;
- Sponsorship of single parent: $5,000
- Sponsorship of two parents: $7,000
Best Aged Parent Visa Lawyers
Melbourne | Sydney | Brisbane | Perth | Adelaide | Darwin